- Fantastic exercise to stabilize the entire kinetic chain while building strength in the shoulders.
- A must exercise to precede any clean and jerk or snatch power movement.
- Begin with good posture, shoulder blades retracted and depressed.
- Maintain good posture throughout movement, with stability through the abdominal complex and neutral spine angles.
- Position feet shoulder width apart, pointing straight ahead.
- Start with the dumbbells at shoulder height, palms facing forward.
- While maintaining total body alignment, push the dumbbells into full extension overhead.
- AVOID letting your back arch at ANYTIME (this may indicate tightness in the lats and a stretching program should precede loading of this exercise).
- TRAINERS: watch the hips (to ensure frontal plane stability) and also watch the scapulae (shoulder blades) to see if there is excessive protraction. (‘winging’) – this may indicate a destabilized gleno-humeral (shoulder) joint
- Other progressions: Inertia progression – dumbbell, to cables, to tubing.
Stable to Unstable surfaces - airex pad, ½ foam roller.