Why My PhD Was Almost Worthless

by John Berardi |   Date Released : 25 Oct 2010
John Berardi

About the author: John Berardi

Dr. John Berardi has been recognized as one of the top exercise nutrition experts in the world. His work has been published in numerous textbooks, peer-reviewed academic journals, and in countless popular exercise and nutrition books and magazines.

Through his company, Precision Nutrition, Dr. Berardi has worked with over 60,000 clients in over 100 countries. These clients range from recreational exercisers all the way up to the athletic elite, including: The Cleveland Browns, The Toronto Maple Leafs, The Texas Longhorns, Canada’s Olympic Ski Teams, Canada’s Olympic Bobsleigh and Skeleton Racers, World Champion UFC Fighters, Canada’s Olympic Speed Skaters, and more.

Dr. Berardi has also created the highly acclaimed Precision Nutrition Certification program, a sport and exercise nutrition mentorship program designed exclusively for elite fitness professionals. To learn more, visit Dr. Berardi’s web site and take his free “Essentials of Nutrition Coaching” video course.

Franceschi, Alana | 16 Mar 2012, 14:41 PM

I found this article very interesting, nutrition is something I want to further my knowledge in. I have looked at a lot of nutrition courses, but The Precision Nutrition Certification Program is something I'm really interested in and have put my name on the waiting list for September. I believe that exercise alone doesn't work and I really want the knowledge of giving great nutritional advice to my clients so they get can achieve the best results.

derby, danielle | 17 Feb 2011, 20:01 PM

Wow, I never usually post comments on anything I read, but after reading the other comments on this article, I couldn't resist. I am currently a college student as well as a personal trainer, and hit quite a bump in the road to finishing my degree a few weeks ago. Long story short, I am unable to finish my desired degree of exercise science at the current university which I am enrolled, due to transfer credits not being accepted. I am having to either transfer schools or change majors. After many long talks with academic advisers and other health professionals, I have just decided to change my major to psychology, and minor in business. Once I finish my undergrad, i hope to pursue nutrition. This article was very informative and definitely gave me reassurance about my decision to change my major to psychology.

Naranjo, Andrey | 07 Jan 2011, 15:28 PM

Dr. Berardi,
I'm a certified trainer working on my pre-requisites for medical school. I want to continue on this path and this article has been extremely valuable. I look up to successful individuals like yourself and I agree 100% with what you have mentioned. Nutrition is extremely important, I really want to take your precision nutrition certification because I do believe it is extremely valuable. I rather get certified in that, than in kettlebell training! You can look up the information on how to do kettlebell exercises and I think that might be wasted money. I took a TRX course and they just taught me how to use it, when I could have saved $250 dollars and looked up the exercises for free on PT on the Net. My fellow trainers told me they want to become "TRX Certified". I told them to save their money, I'll show them how to use the TRX, in all honesty I thought it was a robbery. But the nutrition certification sounds extremely valuable and it is something that the community has lost a sight on. It used to be so simple and now with all this processed information it has been lost and thanks to people like you, you can clarify it for me and my clients. Thank You!

Berardi, John | 08 Nov 2010, 20:57 PM

To Allan: not sure where you're coming up with the "pseudo science" claim. One look at my resume shows that not only do I have masters and doctoral training in exercise phys and nutritional biochemistry, I've published a number of textbook chapters and journal articles. I also am on the faculty at 2 different universities. If you didn't like this one article - that's cool. But calling me a "pseudo scientist" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Berardi, John | 08 Nov 2010, 20:55 PM

To Sara: thanks for the comment - and I'm glad you found the article valuable. In the end, it's folks like you - people who recognize the immense importance that nutrition can play in the personal training environment and have been looking for a suitable education pathway - that will realize exactly what I'm getting at here.

Berardi, John | 08 Nov 2010, 20:52 PM

To Alexander: sorry to hear the article wasn't for you. As I mentioned below, I've been publishing exercise and nutrition articles for over 10 years now. And one thing I learned is this: just because an article doesn't strike the right chords with you, doesn't make it worthless for others. Indeed, there are other PT on the Net members who clearly are looking for nutrition education. And this article reviews the options - including an option that I obviously believe in - one I created myself - and one that over 1,000 fitness professionals have become a part of this last year. Again, sorry you don't think it's of value to you. However, why post angry comments? Why not just move on to another article that is of interest to you and your career?

Fitness, Level 3 | 08 Nov 2010, 19:39 PM

Dr. Berardi,
I did not think it was worthless and actually found it very helpful. I have a BS and MS in Exercise Science but have really wanted to expand my nutrition knowledge without becoming an RD. I have looked into some PhD programs but the time and money are holding me back. I now wished I would have earned my Masters in Nutrition. So thank you for your insight and I will be looking at your program as well as your book list as I love to read to improve myself as a fitness professional.
Best of luck to your continued success,
Sara Lynn Baker, MS, CSCS

Cox-Taylor, Alexander | 08 Nov 2010, 02:21 AM

shameless plug - how was this allowed to be published on this site.
we spend enough time dodging pseudo articles everywhere else on the internet in this extremely poorly regulated industry.

PT on the net is normally a safe haven from such empty content....normally.

Berardi, John | 04 Nov 2010, 01:37 AM

To Ed: For fitness professionals who really want to improve this aspect of their coaching - i.e. the integration of nutrition and exercise into their training business - I'd submit that this article isn't "worthless." In fact, I suggest it could stimulate some ideas that would alter the course of some fitness pros' career paths, making them remarkably better at what they do. Now, I do feel bad that you read the article and felt it wasn't necessarily for you. However, to suggest it's worthless - well that may be a little too much. Like I said - for someone looking for real pathways to improve, it could make all the difference in their professional advice. I hope upon reflection, you might find some use in it too. [But, if not, that's also OK. Not every article is for everyone.] Take care.

Predeger, Brook | 03 Nov 2010, 21:13 PM

Your article was almost worthless, too. It's obviously an advertisement, which I paid good money for.