The Future of Personal Training

by John Berardi |   Date Released : 06 Dec 2010
John Berardi

About the author: John Berardi

Dr. John Berardi has been recognized as one of the top exercise nutrition experts in the world. His work has been published in numerous textbooks, peer-reviewed academic journals, and in countless popular exercise and nutrition books and magazines.

Through his company, Precision Nutrition, Dr. Berardi has worked with over 60,000 clients in over 100 countries. These clients range from recreational exercisers all the way up to the athletic elite, including: The Cleveland Browns, The Toronto Maple Leafs, The Texas Longhorns, Canada’s Olympic Ski Teams, Canada’s Olympic Bobsleigh and Skeleton Racers, World Champion UFC Fighters, Canada’s Olympic Speed Skaters, and more.

Dr. Berardi has also created the highly acclaimed Precision Nutrition Certification program, a sport and exercise nutrition mentorship program designed exclusively for elite fitness professionals. To learn more, visit Dr. Berardi’s web site and take his free “Essentials of Nutrition Coaching” video course.

Berardi, John | 28 Dec 2010, 05:06 AM

To Tiffany: that's a great question - and one I explore further in this free 5-day course for fitness pros - here: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/course-for-fitness-professionals. In the course, and in the follow-up certification program, I talk about how we often, as trainers, deepen our clients' resistance to change by the words we choose and how we say them to our clients. This was a tough lesson for me - but one of the most important of my career. I was deepening my client's resistance to change. Thereby LOWERING their compliance myself. Once I learned how to, as the authors of the awesome books Switch suggest, "motivate the elephant, direct the rider, and shape the path", my ability to help improve client compliance skyrocketed. And the best part, it became actually EASY to help clients improve compliance. I'll warn you - the stuff you'll learn is counter-intuitive at first. And it won't "feel" right because the fitness industry has been doing this incorrectly for YEARS. But, if you check out the resources I recommend, you'll quickly learn that there's another way - an EASIER way - to improve your clients' ability to follow the rules.

Fuentes, Tiffany | 23 Dec 2010, 12:27 PM

Thank you for the article and postings. One component, I am just not sure is easy to grasp and master, regardless of what educational route we take as trainers. How do we achieve compliance? How do we get individuals to stop saying they are too busy throughout the day to eat every three hours? How do we get them to record what they eat, even if we have signed them up with a site that has comprehensive database for them to easily just plug in their meals? How do we help them to turn the stove on and boil some eggs or make food so they don't have to eat out throughout the day? Even if we have already given them recipes? How do we get them to regard themselves first over their work, so that they get up from the desk and fill their water bottle, again and again so they are properly hydrated throughout the day? This is my struggle. I have the information, and the communication, but WHAT ABOUT COMPLIANCE? Any thoughts?

Berardi, John | 10 Dec 2010, 18:23 PM

To Jaimi: Thanks for the feedback. As far as your comment re: grad school or higher education, that wasn't my point at all. To quickly clarify, please re-read this passage. "Now, I’m not saying that personal trainers have to go to school for 10 years to become full-fledged masters of nutritional biochemistry. Quite the contrary. Nutritional biochemists are often ill-equipped to coach nutrition too." So the point of the article isn't that you have to go to school for a lot of years. Rather, you have to do SOMETHING to improve your skill set and to include a good understanding of nutrition coaching. Whether it's school, or certifications, or mentorships, whatever it takes to learn more and improve. Because doing NOTHING isn't an option if you want to be your best.

Berardi, John | 10 Dec 2010, 18:09 PM

To Jordan: Thanks for the feedback. As far as your question, I've created a free 5 day course on the essentials of nutrition for elite fitness professionals. Here's the link. Check it out: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/course-for-fitness-professionals

Hunter, Jaimi | 10 Dec 2010, 17:15 PM

I agree with alot of things said in this artical and also to survive, nutritional advice is essential. However i think it is a bit presumptious in the way it is categorising everyone that has not done a graduate degree in nutrirtion and spent fortunes on bits of what essentially is a bit of paper just like the weekend seminars, as being some how inferior.

In my opinion the material and research paper is all out there and is easily accessable if you really want to be a good trainer and really want to get the basics on nutritional support for your clients it is there to find all you have to do is look.

Wright, Jordan | 10 Dec 2010, 11:59 AM

I have to agree with John. I have worked hard with my clients to provide them with highly effective workouts and work within their limitations but nutrition is still something I am trying to become more educated on. John you made a good point about the "complete nutrition education programs" Was just wondering if you can shed some light on where to look for these programs and if there are some online versions.