An Evolutionary Approach to Nutrition, Health and Fitness, Part 2

by Tony Boutagy |   Date Released : 21 Oct 2011
Tony Boutagy

About the author: Tony Boutagy

Boutagy, Tony | 12 Mar 2013, 21:33 PM

Hi Michael,
Thanks for taking the time to comment and your kind words!
You raise a great point! The examples provided in the article are of athletes with extreme endurance capacity who eat diets rich in carbohydrate, much of which comes from modern cereal grains, or in the case of the great Kouros, boiled Greek lollies!
There is a current belief by a vocal minority in our industry that seeks to discourage the use of aerobic endurance exercise for health, conditioning and weight regulation. Therefore, the point I was attempting to make was more to show (1) Overwhelming scientific consensus that human's evolved as endurance runners (Lieberman & Bramble, 2007), (2) Human's developed unique and exquisite adaptation to allow us to run long distances (Bramble & Lieberman, 2004) and (3) I showed modern examples of the capacity of human's to compete over long distances.
Professor Tim Noakes and his South African colleagues have published a lot of data regarding the capacity of hunter-gatherer's ability to run for up to 6 hours in the heat to catch prey for food - this is a modern example of 'paleo nutrition and paleo endurance fitness'. Many similar examples can be listed, but Noakes has done a better job than I could - see NATURE | VOL 487 | 19 JULY 2012 NOAKES & SPEDDING.

De Vivo, Michael | 11 Mar 2013, 13:24 PM

Love the article and your approach! The only confusion I have is with the "Humans Have Excellent Capacity for Endurance" example since it seems out of context for me.

I'm pretty sure most of those referenced did not eat a typical paleo diet and thus would not be a legitimate example for cardiovascular endurance because of their modern means of caloric intake and recovery methods. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Everything else is pure gold, in this article and the previous! I'm definitely going to use some of your prose with my clientele in the future!

Thanks for getting the paleo word out!

Boutagy, Tony | 27 Oct 2011, 20:07 PM

Thanks Nick,
I could be incorrect, but it is to my knowledge that the dentist, William Kelley, was one of the first to use MT and the oncologist, Nick Gonzalez still uses Kelley's ideas to this day treating cancer patients.

Sinitiere, Nick | 27 Oct 2011, 19:57 PM

I've read Wolcott's work along with Roger William, Weston Price, F.M. Pottenger, Dr.Gersen, but am not familiar with the other names....thanks for the new resouces. I ask about MT in particular because I have a MT Advisor cert through Wolcott's HealthExcel research orginization and am always looking for the opinions of other knowledgeable professionals. Thanks for you response!

Boutagy, Tony | 27 Oct 2011, 19:25 PM

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the nice feedback on the articles.
Metabolic typing certainly makes sense to me. I've read the work of Roger Williams, William Kelley, Nick Gonzalez and Bill Wolcott. The way that they approach nutrition from an individualist perspective certainly has a lot of credit. More recent studies looking at genetic individuality in response to certain types of food certainly seems to support their approach. While I await some more research in the area, I am very open to the metabolic typing idea.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Tony

Sinitiere, Nick | 25 Oct 2011, 17:38 PM

Solid article. Both parts 1 and 2. It is refreshing to hear/see/read an ACTUAL scientific approach to Human function in regards to nutrition. In my humble opinion, this has been lacking for quite some time. The fact of metabolic variety and biochemical individuality has to be taken into account, which isn't being done through the conventional education modality (R.D.). I'm curious to get your thoughts on a specific topic. A 'paleo' diet, although more 'functional' than most nutritional prescription, still seems to be just one piece of a broader concept. A basic shell of a more encompassing image. "Metabolic Typing". Stricly from the research I've done thus far, and the experts I've networked with, the process of metabolic typing seems to be the ONLY current model that can systematically determine proper nutritional protocol for each individual. Any thoughts? Again, I thought your article(s) series here was spectacular.