(The above diagram was referenced with kind permission of the C.H.E.K Institute from the book, "Under the Veil of Deception" by Paul Chek.)
As has been discussed previously in Part 1 and Part 2 , many of the processed foods that have been "generally regarded as safe" for our consumption truly are not safe at all. If you've been struggling with the "reality" of this information, please keep in mind that a 1980 study showed that almost HALF of the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) officials entrusted with the responsibility to regulate the food processing industry had PREVIOUSLY WORKED IN IT! The potential for special interests and ulterior motives was and is undeniable. Judging from the current state of affairs, as a wise man once said, “The proof is in the pudding!” As a planet, we are truly sicker than we have ever been. Ironically, this general decline in health has correlated directly with the decline in human consumption of high quality whole foods.
13. Irradiated Food (i.e., “Cold Pasteurization ”)
“Let’s say I invited you over for turkey dinner and told you that before cooking the meal I’d be using my new food sanitizer. My new sanitizer happens to deliver 450,000 RADS of radiation, which is about 150 million times more radiation than the standard chest X-ray. The radiation source will be cobalt (Co-60) or possibly caesium (Cs-137), the remains of spent military nuclear fuel. And if you get too close to my new machine, you could get one hell of a tan. Now, how excited would you be about tasting my turkey?” (Taken from "How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!" by Paul Chek)
Sounds insane, does it not? It is, and yet it’s a reality. The US government has decided once again to volunteer its public for a grand science experiment, this time involving nuclear waste. The use of this waste, according to the US Department of Energy (DOE), provides a convenient method of reducing disposal costs of spent nuclear fuels from the civilian and military sectors by providing a commercial market for them.
Posted on the health web site, www.Mercola.com, Dr. Joseph Mercola lists these top 10 reasons for opposing food irradiation:
- In legalizing food irradiation, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) did not determine a level of radiation to which food can be exposed and still be safe for human consumption, which federal law requires.
- In legalizing food irradiation, the FDA relied on laboratory research that did not meet modern scientific protocols, which federal law requires.
- Research dating to the 1950s has revealed a wide range of problems in animals that ate irradiated food, including premature death, a rare form of cancer, reproductive dysfunction, chromosomal abnormalities, liver damage, low weight gain and vitamin deficiencies.
- Irradiation masks and encourages filthy conditions in slaughterhouses and food processing plants. Irradiation can kill most bacteria in food, but it does nothing to remove the feces, urine, pus and vomit that often contaminate beef, pork, chicken and other meat. Irradiation will not kill the pathogen that causes mad cow disease.
- Irradiation destroys vitamins, essential fatty acids and other nutrients in food - sometimes significantly. The process destroys 80 percent of vitamin A in eggs, but the FDA nonetheless legalized irradiation of these products.
- Irradiation can change the flavor, odor and texture of food - sometimes disgustingly so. Pork can turn red, beef can smell like a wet dog, fruit and vegetables can become mushy and eggs can lose their color, become runny and ruin recipes.
- Irradiation disrupts the chemical composition of everything in its path, not just harmful bacteria, which the food industry often asserts. Scores of new chemicals called "radiolytic products" are formed by irradiation - chemicals that do not naturally occur in food and that the FDA has never studied for safety.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) did not follow its own recommendation to study the toxicity of radiolytic products formed in high-dose irradiated food before proposing in November 2000 that the international irradiation dose limit - equal to 330 million chest X-rays - be removed.
- Soon, some irradiation plants may use cesium-137, a highly radioactive waste material left over from the production of nuclear weapons. This material is dangerous and unstable. In 1988, a cesium-137 leak near Atlanta led to a $30 million, taxpayer-funded cleanup.
- Because it increases the shelf life of food and is used in large centralized facilities, irradiation encourages globalization and consolidation of the food production, distribution and retailing industries. These trends have already forced multitudes of family farmers and ranchers out of business, reduced the diversity of products in the marketplace, disrupted local economies in developing nations and put American farmers and ranchers at a great economic disadvantage.
It would be very wise to make sure you’re not consuming irradiated foods by asking store/restaurant managers and owners if they sell or use them.
“The bottom line is that irradiation will not make food cleaner. It merely masks unhygienic slaughtering and processing practices, while corrupting nutritional integrity, big time.” - Dr. Joseph Mercola
14. Genetically Modified/Engineered (GM/GE) Food
The PR smoke screen surrounding GM foods was to claim that they are necessary to grow more food and to end world hunger, when the reality is that GM foods actually have lower yields per acre than natural crops. The grand design comes into focus when you do the research and realize that almost all GM foods have been created by the sellers of herbicides and pesticides so that those plants can withstand greater amounts of herbicides and pesticides, hence creating a better market for them!
One of the big problems with this very powerful technology is that the mechanisms by which it works or doesn't work are not even understood by the scientists themselves! Unfortunately, the enormous financial upside of producing GM/GE foods seems to be the primary motivation, rather than “ending world hunger” as these companies’ hired PR firms would claim. Hence, the rush and lack of proper and adequate research.
In 1999, Dr. Arpad Pusztia conducted a famous study on GM/GE potatoes. After disclosing the hazards of consuming these foods to the press, the government immediately cut his funding, and he was promptly fired.
A few of the many dangers of GM/GE foods include:
- The production of toxins and poisons as a result of switching and splicing genes to create and affect too many variables to account for.
- The creation of powerful food allergies (some possibly fatal) created by the genes of unknown allergens (such as nuts) being bound to otherwise harmless foods.
- Food quality is often times very low in health-giving nutrients.
- The chances of antibiotic resistance increases exponentially due to the intentional splicing of genes of certain foods with ARMs (Antibiotic Resistant Markers).
- There is also a correlating increase in pesticide and herbicide (poisons) use and residues, because GM/GE plants are developed to be able to tolerate higher doses of them.
Several other risks related to these foods are: g enetic pollution from GM/GE crops via rain, wind, birds and insect pollinators; a decrease in soil microorganisms, needed insects and fertility; the creation of new “super weeds,” “super pests,” viruses and bacteria; socioeconomic hazards to small farm operations losing out to the monstrous corporations; and ethical concerns with the development and mistreatment of GM/GE animal species.
"If you look at the simple principle of genetic modification it spells ecological disaster. There are no ways of quantifying the risks.... The solution is simply to ban the use of genetic modification in food." - Dr. Harash Narang, microbiologist and senior research associate at the University of Leeds
15. Microwaved Food
An Oklahoma lawsuit in 1991 involved a woman who had hip surgery. She died from this surgery, and it was later blamed on the blood transfusion she received. It was found that the blood had been warmed in a microwave. This altered the blood’s properties, turning it toxic and therefore killing the woman.
In 1992, the famous scientist Dr. Hans Hertel was convicted by the Swiss government for “interfering with commerce” when he published his research on the many dangers of microwaves. The creation of this ridiculous charge was heavily influenced by the “Swiss Association of Dealers for Electro-Apparatuses for Households and Industry.” Not until 1998 was the decision reversed, being declared a “violation of Hertel’s rights.”
Stemming from Hertel’s important research, Wayne and Newell have summarized the top 10 reasons to avoid the use - and even ownership - of microwave ovens:
- Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term or permanent brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain (de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue).
- The human body cannot metabolize (break down) the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.
- Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.
- The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual (long term or permanent) within the human body.
- Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.
- The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.
- Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths (tumors). This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.
- The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
- Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.
- Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability and a decrease of intelligence.
16. Nitrates & Nitrites
These two additives are used in cured meats like bacon, ham, beef jerky, salami, luncheon meats, sausages, bologna, frankfurters, meat spreads and smoked fish. Both of these cancer causing chemicals are added to improve color and taste. Research has shown that children who consistently eat foods containing these poisons have a ten times higher than normal risk of developing leukemia. If you’re buying and consuming these highly processed “meats,” it would be wise to read their labels and avoid these two toxins.
17. Non-Organic Food
Certified organic produce combined with free range, grass fed, certified organic animal meats are ideal in implementing any plan for health and vitality. By law, certified organic food may not contain any added chemicals (i.e., herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, flavor enhancers, additives, irradiation, genetic modification/engineering, hydrogenation, preservatives or any other toxins). Foods labeled as “organically grown” should be avoided. This means that the land used to grow these crops is currently going through a three year detoxification period required by law - in order to eventually be labeled legally as certified organic. Do not be fooled by the “natural” labeling on many foods. This means nothing, as all of the above listed poisons can and will be present in foods labeled this way.
However, it may not be realistic for some to switch to a 100% organic diet (i.e., financially, logistically, etc.). Yet, it is realistic to make an attempt at incorporating at least a few organic foods into a weekly regimen. This will up the demand for organic food and create more opportunities for other producers. Organic food/farming is not only superior in its health benefits for humans, it is also superior in its health benefits for the environment! Organic farming replenishes and purifies the land, rather than depleting and polluting it as conventional methods do. This is very important because there are now more than 10,000 chemical toxins (such as those listed above) put on our non-organic foods today! These toxins cause every type of ailment and complication in the human body that one could fathom. Many of these are getting blamed on chance, genetics or circumstances “out of our control,” so as to negate the ultimate responsibility of the producers of these toxins and place it onto the victim.
If all of this seems confusing, the next time you take a trip to the supermarket, preferably an organic one, remember: If it wasn’t living and growing 10,000 years ago, don’t eat it! If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it! If you have no idea what it actually is, don’t eat it! If it was never actually alive, don’t eat it! If it has been cooked or processed beyond recognition, don’t eat it!
Whole foods are the key to health. There are no “pasta trees” or “Snack Wells cows” in the world. It’s very simple. We all must learn to be more critical of incoming information from so-called nutrition experts. We all must take the responsibility of learning more about our earthly vehicle - the body - much more seriously. We all must learn how to shop as well as cook. Be healthy.
References & Recommended Reading
- Alive: Canadian Journal of Health and Nutrition . June 2001.
- Appleton, N. PhD. “78 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health.” Online. www.mercola.com , Internet. 2002.
- Batmanghelidj, PhD. (1997). Your Body’s Many Cries for Water .
- Brasco, J. Md. “Low Grain and Carbohydrate Diets Treat Hypoglycemia, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer, and Nearly ALL Chronic Illness.” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Chek, P. (2002). Under the Veil of Deception . C.H.E.K Institute.
- Chek, P. Optimal Health and Fitness Through Practical Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching. NLC-Level II certification course manual, A C.H.E.K Institute Publication and Production, 2003.
- Chek, P. (2004). How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy! C.H.E.K Institute.
- Chek, P. You Are What You Eat. (Parts 1-3) Personal Training on the Net. Online. www.ptonthenet.com, Internet. 2003.
- Cohen, (1998). Milk, The Deadly Poison.
- Connett, Paul PhD. The Absurdities of Water Flouridation. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Crayhon, R. MS. The Paleolithic Diet and Its Modern Implications. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Cummins, R. Hazards of Genetically Engineered foods and Crops: Why We Need A Global Moratorium. Motion Magazine. Aug. 29, 1999.
- Fallon, S. (2001) Nourishing Traditions .
- Chek, P. Flatten Your Abs Forever. Video Cassette. C.H.E.K Institute, 2000.
- Food Irradiation: An FDA Report. FDA Papers, Oct. 1968.
- The Guardian. Dangerous Grains. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Hittner, N. Sleep, Water, & Food - Three Books To Make You Smarter Than Your Doctor! Personal Training on the Net . Online. www.ptonthenet.com, Internet. 2003.
- Hittner, N. “Want Abs?” (Parts 1 & 2) Personal Training on the Net. Online. www.ptonthenet.com, Internet. 2003.
- Hull, Dr. J. 12 Questions You Need to have Answered Before You Eat Splenda. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- International Journal of Radiation Biology , 1970; 18: 201-216.
- Journal of Nutrition , 1959; 69: 18-21.
- Journal of Nutrition 1997; 127: 1636S-1645S.
- The Lancet , Volume 353 29, May 1999.
- Mercola, Dr. J. “Canada Rejects Olestra, leaving the USA the Only One ‘Holding the Bag.’” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Mercola, Dr. J. Lower Your Grains & Lower your Insulin Levels! A Novel Way To Treat Hypoglycemia. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Mercola, Dr. J. Soy: Is it Healthy, or is it Harmful? Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- Mercola, Dr. J. (2003). The No Grains Diet.
- Mercola, Dr. J. “What You Never Expected to Hear About Water Fluoridation.” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2003.
- Mercola, Dr. J.; Droege, R. “Do You Microwave Your Food? You’re Zapping Away Nutrients and Risking Your Health.” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- Online: Public Citizen, www.citizen.org
- O’Shea, Dr. T. The Doors Of Perception: Why Americans Will Believe Almost Anything. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Price, W.A. (1997). Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. 6th Ed.
- Rampton, S., & Stauber, J. (2002). Trust Us, We’re Experts!
- Rivera, R. & Deutche, RD (1998). Your Hidden Food Allergies are Making You Fat.
- Roberts, H.J. MD. Aspartame Disease: An FDA Approved Epidemic. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- Rosedale, R. MD. Insulin and Its Metabolic Effects. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Ross, J. (2000). The Diet Cure.
- Thiessen, Dr. D. The Awful Truth About Eating Grains. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Olestra: final rule. Federal Register. January 30, 1996; 61:3152-3154
- Wayne, A; Newell, L. The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking. Online. www.ecclesia.org, Internet. 2000.
- Wiley, TS; Formby, PhD. (2000). Lights Out.
- Williams, R. J. (1998). Biochemical Individuality. 2nd Ed.
- Wolcott, W; Fahey, T. (2000). The Metabolic Typing Diet.
- Wolcott, W. To Succeed at Any Diet, You Must Know Your Metabolic Type. (Parts 1 &2) Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.