(The above photo was referenced with kind permission of the C.H.E.K Institute from the book, "Under the Veil of Deception" by Paul Chek.)
As many of you already know, or perhaps discovered in Part 1 of this series, what is currently being proposed as “healthy” has much more to due with the all mighty dollar and much less to do with the “health” of you and me. Please keep an open mind as you read on, and don’t let it stop here. The references and recommended reading section at the end is a great next step. In my view and the growing view of many, true health has to start with nutrition. All the exercise in the world cannot account for the malnourishment of the processed foods and toxic chemicals that are being ingested daily.
6) Hydrogenated, Trans and Man-Made Fats
Yet again, the largely popular margarines, shortenings and hydrogenated “health” products widely available today represent the power and success of PR and marketing over what should be common sense. These man-made fats are literally everywhere. You can find them in virtually all wrapped, boxed or bagged processed foods such as crackers, cookies, pastries, diet/nutrition/and energy bars, etc. Start reading labels, and you'll be in for a shock.
When hydrogenation occurs to a fatty acid chain, the actual molecular structure of the fat changes to something rarely (if ever) found in nature: the “trans” fat. This is bad news for you and I as most of these man-made “fake” fats are extremely toxic to the body. The problem is that your body cannot tell the difference between these fake fats and the real thing, so it ingests them as though they were the real thing. Because of the molecular reconfiguration of the fake fat molecule, these trans fats wreak havoc and disrupt normal metabolic activity in the cell.
Research has also shown that some partially hydrogenated fats made from vegetable oils actually prevent utilization of essential fatty acids, which in turn can cause a host of problems including sexual dysfunction, increased blood cholesterol and paralysis to the immune system. Consumption of hydrogenated fats is also strongly correlated with the development of cancers, atherosclerosis, diabetes, obesity, low birth weight in babies, birth defects, decreased visual acuity, sterility, difficulty in lactation and bone and connective tissue problems.
Olestra, or what many of you may know by its marketed name “ Olean,” is the latest craze in the fat-fearer’s world. This man-made fat was recently rejected in Canada , leaving the US as the only country in the entire world where it is allowed! Olestra/Olean, a product of Procter & Gamble, is added to chip and snack products by many companies. If you were to view Olestra under a microscope, you would observe that its molecular make-up is closer to that of plastic than of food. This is a danger. Problems associated with even minimal consumption of Olestra/Olean (as little as one ounce at a time!) include decreased absorption and blood levels of fat soluble vitamins such as vitamin E as well as carotenoids and significant increases in GI (gastrointestinal) symptoms (i.e., diarrhea, loose stools, etc.) as well as dehydration. These can in turn contribute to increased risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease.
Genuine saturated fats, particularly those from organically fed free-range animal proteins are essential to health and development and should not be feared. Saturated fat plays a role in cell membrane integrity and maintenance of bone integrity as well as the maintenance of heart, liver and immune system health - just to name few.
7) Processed/Refined Salt
Most of the bad rep that salt receives is due to its processing. Typical refined table salt is highly processed, utilizing various chemicals and extremely high temperatures which strip it of all the valuable trace minerals naturally occurring in sea salt. Salt refiners use chemicals including aluminum compounds to dry the salt. Once processed, the natural iodine that has been destroyed and is no longer present must be replaced and is done so with potassium iodide - a potentially toxic form of iodine. Bleaching agents are also used to give the appearance of purity. What’s left is not salt at all but merely sodium-chloride, an empty by-product of the original.
Naturally occurring unrefined sea salt is somewhat moist and grey in color. This vital compound contains up to 14% of nearly 80 trace minerals vital to life, as well as naturally occurring iodine.
8) Processed Milk and Dairy
Simply put, what we have been told about the milk and dairy on our shelves is wrong. Worse yet, it’s causing health problems. Pasteurization is a good thing, right? Wrong. The modern milking machine and stainless steel tank, along with efficient packaging and distribution, make pasteurization totally unnecessary for the purposes of sanitation (13). It gets better. Pasteurization is not even a sure bet to cleanliness. If one were to research all of the past decade’s salmonella outbreaks from milk, it would be discovered that they all came from pasteurized milk. This is because pasteurization destroys all of the positive bacteria and helpful organisms that protect it against pathogens, leaving it defenseless!
It doesn’t stop there. Pasteurization exposes milk to very high temperatures. This exposure renders the milk’s amino acids, vitamins, calcium and many other minerals/trace minerals virtually useless and unavailable to the body. There is now also evidence that the heating process alters the milk sugar (lactose) making it more available to the body, suggesting the strong link between avid processed milk drinkers and diabetes.
Finally, pasteurization destroys all of milk’s natural enzymes. These enzymes were there originally to help the body assimilate all of the vitamins, minerals and nutrients previously mentioned, including calcium. This is the reason why you can drink all the processed milk you want and not only still develop osteoporosis but perhaps encourage it!
Homogenization is no help either. This is the process that forces fat particles through tiny strainers under great pressure so as to make them small enough that they remain suspended and thus, do not rise to the top. Because homogenized fats are much more susceptible to rancidity and oxidation, they have recently been linked to heart disease. Homogenization has also been found to cause incomplete protein digestion in the small intestine, leading to milk allergy and intolerance.
The same can be said for virtually all processed dairy products (i.e., cheese, yogurt, butter, cream, etc.). Many of them are packed with other chemicals such as emulsifiers, extenders, phosphates and hydrogenated oils and should be completely avoided as well. If you eat dairy, eat it organic and/or raw or not at all.
9) Additives and Flavor Enhancers
Look at the labels of the processed foods in your home (i.e., boxed, bagged, canned, pouched, etc.). How many of the ingredients can you pronounce, let alone comprehend their function and the repercussions of consuming them? We should certainly not be so trustworthy with our health and well-being by simply putting blind trust into the hands of food companies. After all, it’s not really food, hence the term "food product."
Interestingly, some scientists working for these food product companies have identified 51 different elements that must be present in any given form of food to satisfy the appetite center of our brains. Knowing this, scientists employed by major food companies not only selectively remove one or many of these items, but will also purposefully add things like salt and sugar, which are known to stimulate the appetite(5). This gives a whole new meaning and level of understanding to the phrase, “Betcha’ Can’t Eat Just One!”
The FDA’s approval of this chemical has been labeled by experts as troubling at best, and unfortunately, the public is dealing with the repercussions. Aspartame breaks down into wood-alcohol (methanol), which is essentially embalming fluid, at just over 100 degrees in the human body. "Diet" products (i.e., Nutra-sweet, Equal, sodas, chewing gums, diet drinks, sugar free snacks/drinks, diet foods, supplement bars/powders, etc.) containing the chemical sweetener aspartame can have multiple neurotoxic, metabolic, allergenic and carcinogenic effects (35). Some of these are: the initiation or aggravation of diabetes mellitus, hypoglycemia, convulsions, headache, depression, other psychiatric states, hyperthyroidism, hypertension, arthritis, the simulation of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, lupus erythematosus and carpal tunnel syndrome - to name only a few. This stuff is no joke. Also , “diet” sodas containing aspartame have recently been found to cause weight gain in many individuals due to the fact that this chemical’s powerful effects on the brain alter communication with the liver, ultimately causing potentially serious blood sugar problems.
Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
This chemical can be found in products with powerful flavors (i.e., chips, crackers, snack foods, spices, etc.). Like a spartame, MSG is a powerful neural toxin. This is evidenced as far back as 1966. It is estimated that at least 25% of the population have serious reactions to MSG consumption. Some of these reactions may include severe neurotoxicity, seizures and brain lesions.
Splenda, or Sucralose, may be one of man’s worst inventions to date (next to aspartame). Splenda is a man-made combination of sugar and chlorine, otherwise know as a Chlorocarbon. Chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic and reproductive damage and up to 40% shrinkage of the thymus, a gland that is the very foundation of our immune system. Sucralose also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys and calcification of the kidneys (19).
A good rule of thumb is, “If you can’t pronounce the ingredient’s name, and/or you’ve no idea what it is, don't eat it.”
10) Tap Water
Tap water, depending on where you live, may contain any number of countless toxins. The two most prolific are fluoride and chlorine.
Research has distinctly shown that more people suffer from fluoride poisoning every year than any other form of poisoning! The popular understanding is that fluoride was added to tap water for its claimed benefits for teeth. The fact of the matter is, tooth decay is caused by a systemic problem concerning internal body chemistry, not a superficial one as believed by many. Teeth decay because the body’s ideal ratio of calcium to phosphorus in the blood becomes skewed. This is primarily caused by the consumption of refined carbs and sugar. This is important to be aware of because it exposes how useless a topical solution such as fluoride truly is to tooth decay.
Fluoride accumulates in bones, making them more susceptible to fracture, as well as accumulating in the pineal gland, which could lower the production of melatonin. Recent research has discovered a possible link between fluoride and arthritis as well as hypothyroidism. Fluoride has also been found to increase the uptake of aluminum into the brain as well as inhibiting antibodies from forming in the blood. This essentially confuses the immune system and can lead to tumor development. To top it all off, this chemical has also been found to damage the dental enamel of children!
From an ethical standpoint, fluoridating the water supply is essentially forcing a universal medication on the public with absolutely no informed consent from that public. As Dr. Peter Mansfield stated, “No physician in his right senses would prescribe for a person he has never met, whose medical history he does not know, a substance which is intended to create bodily change, with the advice: 'Take as much as you like, but you will take it for the rest of your life because some children suffer from tooth decay.' It is a preposterous notion."
Drinking chlorinated water is like waging a war on the inside of your body every day. It has been placed in water to kill any unwanted organisms. But once it enters the body, how does the chlorine know what organisms are bad and should be killed and which organisms are good and should be left alone? The answer, of course, is that it does not. This is a problem as chlorine destroys the positive bacteria in the human gut, disrupting the delicate balance between the positive and negative bacteria that is so vital to many life-sustaining and health-giving processes. Chlorine has also been shown to drastically increase one’s risk to several different types of cancer as well as serious birth defects.
To avoid the harmful effects of fluoride and chlorine, a reverse osmosis filtration system is the ticket. At minimum, experts recommend some sort of carbon filter system (i.e., PuR). Another fine solution is to purchase high quality bottled waters such as Fiji and Evian.
If coffee were introduced to the FDA today as a drug, it would not receive approval. It is best to avoid everything that contains caffeine including coffee, sodas, tea, decongestants, energy/fat-burning pills, aspirin, diuretics and chocolate. This is because research has shown that caffeine severely disrupts the delicate blood sugar regulation mechanism within the body (i.e., adrenals, liver and pancreas). It also has a serious diuretic (dehydrating) effect on the body. This can lead to chronic fatigue, depression, allergies, behavioral issues, insomnia, dizziness, cancer, bone loss, mental disorders and birth defects.
Alcohol is a simple sugar, negative and empty in any other nutrients. When ingested, it places incredible stress on the detoxification system of the body (i.e., liver, etc.). Alcohol, particularly red wine, is one of the primary causes of gastrointestinal (GI) inflammation. GI inflammation leads to “leaky gut” syndrome, allowing toxic substances to pass into the body’s tissues. This, in turn, can result in the development of the chronic diseases of aging (i.e., heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, low back and joint pain, etc.). If that’s not enough, alcohol, particularly when consumed near or at meal times, serves as a blocking agent, prohibiting the absorption of several vitamins and minerals (7). So, when one stops to consider that 90% of all disease begins in the colon, this puts a new meaning to the word “moderation.” Perhaps "elimination" would be a better word to use!
In Part 3 we will discuss irradiated foods, genetically modified foods, microwaved foods, nitrates/nitrites and non-organic foods.
References & Recommended Reading
- Alive: Canadian Journal of Health and Nutrition . June 2001.
- Appleton, N. PhD. “78 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health.” Online. www.mercola.com , Internet. 2002.
- Batmanghelidj, PhD. (1997). Your Body’s Many Cries for Water .
- Brasco, J. Md. “Low Grain and Carbohydrate Diets Treat Hypoglycemia, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Cancer, and Nearly ALL Chronic Illness.” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Chek, P. (2002). Under the Veil of Deception . C.H.E.K Institute.
- Chek, P. Optimal Health and Fitness Through Practical Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching. NLC-Level II certification course manual, A C.H.E.K Institute Publication and Production, 2003.
- Chek, P. (2004). How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy! C.H.E.K Institute.
- Chek, P. You Are What You Eat. (Parts 1-3) Personal Training on the Net. Online. www.ptonthenet.com, Internet. 2003.
- Cohen, (1998). Milk, The Deadly Poison.
- Connett, Paul PhD. The Absurdities of Water Flouridation. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Crayhon, R. MS. The Paleolithic Diet and Its Modern Implications. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Cummins, R. Hazards of Genetically Engineered foods and Crops: Why We Need A Global Moratorium. Motion Magazine. Aug. 29, 1999.
- Fallon, S. (2001) Nourishing Traditions .
- Chek, P. Flatten Your Abs Forever. Video Cassette. C.H.E.K Institute, 2000.
- Food Irradiation: An FDA Report. FDA Papers, Oct. 1968.
- The Guardian. Dangerous Grains. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Hittner, N. Sleep, Water, & Food - Three Books To Make You Smarter Than Your Doctor! Personal Training on the Net . Online. www.ptonthenet.com, Internet. 2003.
- Hittner, N. “Want Abs?” (Parts 1 & 2) Personal Training on the Net. Online. www.ptonthenet.com, Internet. 2003.
- Hull, Dr. J. 12 Questions You Need to have Answered Before You Eat Splenda. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- International Journal of Radiation Biology , 1970; 18: 201-216.
- Journal of Nutrition , 1959; 69: 18-21.
- Journal of Nutrition 1997; 127: 1636S-1645S.
- The Lancet , Volume 353 29, May 1999.
- Mercola, Dr. J. “Canada Rejects Olestra, leaving the USA the Only One ‘Holding the Bag.’” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Mercola, Dr. J. Lower Your Grains & Lower your Insulin Levels! A Novel Way To Treat Hypoglycemia. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Mercola, Dr. J. Soy: Is it Healthy, or is it Harmful? Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- Mercola, Dr. J. (2003). The No Grains Diet.
- Mercola, Dr. J. “What You Never Expected to Hear About Water Fluoridation.” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2003.
- Mercola, Dr. J.; Droege, R. “Do You Microwave Your Food? You’re Zapping Away Nutrients and Risking Your Health.” Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- Online: Public Citizen, www.citizen.org
- O’Shea, Dr. T. The Doors Of Perception: Why Americans Will Believe Almost Anything. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Price, W.A. (1997). Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. 6th Ed.
- Rampton, S., & Stauber, J. (2002). Trust Us, We’re Experts!
- Rivera, R. & Deutche, RD (1998). Your Hidden Food Allergies are Making You Fat.
- Roberts, H.J. MD. Aspartame Disease: An FDA Approved Epidemic. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.
- Rosedale, R. MD. Insulin and Its Metabolic Effects. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- Ross, J. (2000). The Diet Cure.
- Thiessen, Dr. D. The Awful Truth About Eating Grains. Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Olestra: final rule. Federal Register. January 30, 1996; 61:3152-3154
- Wayne, A; Newell, L. The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking. Online. www.ecclesia.org, Internet. 2000.
- Wiley, TS; Formby, PhD. (2000). Lights Out.
- Williams, R. J. (1998). Biochemical Individuality. 2nd Ed.
- Wolcott, W; Fahey, T. (2000). The Metabolic Typing Diet.
- Wolcott, W. To Succeed at Any Diet, You Must Know Your Metabolic Type. (Parts 1 &2) Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2002.