A client has been advised to use cow's colostrum in their diet. Do you have any information on this?
That is a great question, and I have some questions for you:
- Who has the client been advised by?
- What is their background?
- Is it an essential part of your client’s healing program at this time?
There are more questions, and the reason I am doing this is to spark some thought into your brain. Start to prioritize your client's program, so you have a plan. Assess, individualize and think for yourself and your client. This will lead to a great recipe of success. There is so much out there about this and that, but the bottom line is, it is all up to you. Besides this response, do some of your own research on the web and by reading books. I can tell you there is a lot of information out there on colostrum. It is up to you to take this information and turn it into knowledge by educating your clients on the pros and cons. From there, it is basically up to the client. We make recommendations, not decisions for our clients.
I am going to give you the base of what cow colostrum is, its importance and when you would use it.
Colostrum is the first milk produced by the breasts during late pregnancy and for a few days after childbirth. It provides a nursing infant with essential nutrients and infection-fighting antibodies, and it assists in helping the child pass early stools (aids in excretion of bilirubin and helps prevent jaundice). Breastfeeding and the importance of it is another entire topic of its own.
The colostrum sold in the store comes from cows or sheep. It is difficult to find, but you can generally buy it at any health food store. As well, you can purchase it online at www.mercola.com. Be careful because a lot of the product in the store is pasteurized, homogenized and not organic. This defeats the entire purpose of taking it. So make sure you purchase raw colostrums.
Your colostrum provides not only perfect nutrition tailored to the needs of your newborn but also large amounts of living cells which will defend your baby against many harmful agents. The concentration of immune factors is much higher in colostrum than in mature milk. Colostrum is also beneficial for GI Dysfunctions (leaky gut, dysbiosis, IBS, Ulcerative Colitis, etc). It contains a high concentrate of leukocytes, which are protective white cells that destroy disease causing bacteria and viruses. Colostrum also strengthens the immune system and provides essential nutrients such as B12.
So the bottom line is, yes it is a beneficial part of a client's “healing” program. It all depends on what is going on with your client and what you got out of their assessments. If you are just saying to yourself that it sounds good for them and you have not done any Nutrition and Lifestyle Assessments, than you are just guessing! Leading a holistic lifestyle and following some basic principles are just as important as the colostrum. Here are a few, as per Paul Chek:
- If it is white, do not eat it! The four white devils are white flour, white sugar, white salt (see #9) and pasteurization and homogenization milk products. If you must use a dairy product and cannot acquire raw dairy, choose Certified Organic as your second choice. Additionally, those who are lactose sensitive should use full-fat cream, which is very low in lactose and high in fat. Additionally, you can enjoy a high quality yogurt, in which lactose is predigested.
- Avoid any food made from any of the white devils!
- If you can’t pronounce a word on a label, do not eat it. Your liver won’t like it!
- If it wasn’t here 10,000 years ago, don’t eat it!
- Fruit juice is sugar water! Don’t drink it. Small quantities of freshly squeezed juice may be ok as an occasional treat.
- The longer the shelf life, the more harmful it is likely to be to your body!
- If irradiated, don’t eat it!
- If pasteurized, it’s not good for you. Ultra-pasteurized is very bad for you!
- Unless packaged in glass, the longer it’s been in the package, the more toxic it will be! Plastics can leak what is called xenoestrogens, which are harmful to the body. They can increase estrogen levels in females and put their hormonal systems into a state of disarray.
- Aside from good water, if you are eating a food that is clear, disease grows near! For example, clear apple juice, clear honey and clear hydrogenated oils are all garbage foods to be avoided.
- Choose products and meats in this order:
- Certified Organic Produce and Free Range Meats
- Organic Produce and Organic Meat
- Locally Farmed Produce and Locally Farmed Free Ranged Meat
- Commercial Produce and Commercial Hormone Free Meat
- Commercial Meat
- Always season foods and water with 100% unprocessed sea salt. The best is Celtic, followed by sea salt from New Zealand because there is less heavy metal toxicity there.
- Drink half your body weight in pounds in ounces of water daily. For example, a 200 pound man needs to drink 100 ounces. Nothing substitutes for water, not tea, not juice, not beer… nothing! Always choose top selling brands such as Evian, Fiji, Trinity and Volvic because they sell the fastest and therefore have the least exposure to plastic bottles.
- Buy water in glass if possible.
- The most health-giving waters have a hardness factor of 170 mg/L or greater and a Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) of 300 or greater. Adding a pinch of sea salt to water is recommended to replace electrolytes. Additionally, it will harden otherwise good but soft waters and will significantly increase the TDS.
- Follow the 80/20 Rule. If you live right 80% of the time, you can absorb the other 20%.
- Always eat right for your metabolic type.
- Get to bed by 10pm and sleep until 6am minimum.
- The body (physical) repairs itself from 10pm to 2pm.
- The mind (spiritual and emotional) repairs itself from 2pm to 6am.