I have a client with Chondromalacia in each patellofemoral joint, and the doctor is recommending arthroscopy and chondroplasty of the patella. They are also telling her that she will need supartz injections about four to six weeks thereafter. Is there anything that can be done in terms of training that can correct this problem, or is surgery the only way to go?
Chondromalacia has been defined as abnormal softening/degeneration of the cartilage of the joints, particularly the knee. As many of you have read me preach before, cutting somebody open should always be a last resort. This case is no exception to that rule. It would be wise for your client to locate qualified professionals (I've listed some options below) in order to determine why the Chondromalacia has occurred. "If the cause isn’t determined, supartz (which is a series of injections of a fluid developed specifically to lubricate/nourish/protect the joint) and cutting off the sore stuff won’t solve anything, but it will likely destabilize the patella further, accelerate wear and likely allow particulate to make its way into the synovial fluid, causing swelling and irritation (1)." A "real" solution to the problem to bring about permanent resolve would undoubtedly involve assessments of existing biomechanical disturbances as well as nutritional/digestive/systemic dysfunction(s). In my opinion, to make a full recovery, your client must do the following:
- Get a full work up to discover the excess stressors that are undoubtedly present in her hormonal, immune, digestive and detoxification systems that are robbing her body of vital nutrients that might normally be put toward healing her knee ailments! This can be done via:
- Naturopathic Doctor Locator - http://www.healthy.net/asp/Associations/aanp.asp
- BioHealth Diagnostic Centers - www.biohealthinfo.com
- C.H.E.K Nutrition & Lifestyle Coach Locator (preferably level 2 or 3) http://www.chekinstitute.com/prac.cfm
- I also advise your client to determine her Metabolic Type. As I've said many times before, if the body is not consuming HIGH quality nutrition with respect to one's Metabolic Type, any number of countless disease states can/will occur over time. One's genetics simply determine how that disease will manifest itself. In this case, Chodromalacia. There are three levels of MT tests: beginner (in the book), intermediate and advanced. I would recommend your client take the intermediate level test. This can be done via:
- The HealthExcel system of Metabolic Typing (www.healthexcel.com), developed by William Wolcott the modern day pioneer of MT
- C.H.E.K Nutrition & Lifestyle Coach Locator (preferably level 2 or 3). See locator link above.
- Your client needs to have a thorough musculoskeletal assessment, which would include length/tension muscular balance screening (specifically hip stability and VMO function), manual muscle testing, movement analysis, postural analysis, etc. This can be done via:
- C.H.E.K Practitioner (preferably level 3 or 4, although I have found that many of these practitioners' knowledge bases surpass their current level certification status). See locator link above.
- A skilled physical therapist who is knowledgeable in holistic integrated exercise concepts. Particularly look for the credentials O.C.S. behind her/his name. This is the American Physical Therapy Association signifier for "Orthopedic Certified Specialist."
- I also advise that your client learn how to help herself by empowering her mind with knowledge - most importantly PRACTICAL knowledge that can be easily applied! A great book for your client to read would be How to Eat, Move & Be Healthy! by Paul Chek.
If a lot of this advice/information seems redundant, that's because it is! The body works a specific way. Disease is not a deficiency of some type of medical drug(s). Disease is a product of environmental factors and lifestyle choices combining with specific genetic circumstances. The professionals above practice what it takes to uncover the specific requirements of any individual in order to make them truly/permanently healthy, happy and spiritually expressive! What this means is that..."Our spiritual being uses the body as a vehicle of expression. When the body is working well, you don’t know you even have one; therefore, you are afforded maximum spiritual expression. You have the natural ability to create, think, express, love and to do all the wondrous things that make us uniquely human (2)."
I hope this helps.
- Wilson, Aaron., C.H.E.K Practitioner Level IV. Personal Email Communication. 17 Sept. 2004.
- Chek, P. "Why Getting Pumped Makes You Feel Good." Online. www.mercola.com, Internet. 2004.