Anti Sitting Assessments

by Juan Carlos Santana |   Date Released : 03 Jan 2006
Juan Carlos Santana

About the author: Juan Carlos Santana

Juan Carlos Santana received his Bachelor and Masters Degree in Exercise Science from Florida Atlantic University. Carlos is the director and CEO of the Institute of Human Performance in Boca Raton Florida. Carlos’ professional responsibilities have included serving as the Chairman of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Sport Specific Conference, the NSCA Florida State Director and as a member of the NSCA Conference Committee. He has also been involved in the certification programs for the American College of Sport Medicine (ACSM) and USA Weightlifting. Carlos has taught Sports Training Systems and Strength Training at Florida Atlantic University and is currently involved in several ongoing research projects. Carlos is currently the Sport Specific Conditioning Column editor for the NSCA Journal. He is a member and Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) with the NSCA, a member and a certified Health Fitness Instructor with the ACSM.

Roach, Christian | 08 Apr 2017, 20:44 PM

Awesome article. Working in education, everyone is harping on about data and not only is it boring to take and analyse it seems nonsensical and an absolute waste of time for some people who just want to keep things simple. Too many people majoring in the minor things. Thanks for a great read

Petersen, Christian | 30 Oct 2011, 04:34 AM

Love this article. Kiss = keep it super simple. The client will know when they have achieved their result. I guess it is trainers ego's that get in the way wanting to make the process more complicated than it has to be. If the client is thrilled then we should be too!

Brotman, Randy | 27 Dec 2010, 18:13 PM

overly simplistic and repetitive in solutions.

Marsh, Patrick | 12 Dec 2010, 21:52 PM

Enjoyed the article and love when common sense prevails! I would not on the other hand, recommend that trainers try to become all things to their clients. Too many of us step far outside of our scope of practice in the effort to have total control over our client's results and this continues to be one of the main reasons why the medical community is hesitant to work with us. It takes years of both formal and experiential educaton to become an "expert" in any field and there's no way that one can become a nutrition "expert", a biomechanics "expert", a sports medicine "expert", a weight lifting "expert", and so on in one lifetime! The better advice is to focus on what you are obviously good at and develop trusted relationships with other healtcare providers who are qualified to do the other things. Many medical doctors may not know a ton about exercise but they have spent a lot more time learning about the human body and disease than most trainers ever will and it would be wise to cultivate a complimentary relationship with traditional medicine as opposed to demonizing it and promoting non-scientifically validated health advice to our clients as many trainers are known to do. Be aware of what your state's individual standards are in regards to what sort of "advice" you are legally entitled to dispense and build a network with practitioners you trust.

wild, jared | 12 Dec 2010, 17:48 PM

Exercises are assessments and assessments are exercises.

Thanks Carlos!!

Roorda, Larry | 20 Nov 2010, 18:59 PM

Thank you for making this so simple.

Johnson, Byron | 24 Aug 2010, 11:11 AM

There are two points that I'll make:
1) Many clients goals are mis-informed due to the media, etc. Most notably the focus on weight loss rather than hydration, body-fat, lean muscle mass. So we have to do some interpretation of their goals.
2) As PT's it is important to measure the progress of our clients, but those measurements should only be considered relative to the client.

Almonte, Oscar | 30 Jun 2010, 22:06 PM

You just changed my approach.
“How would you know when we are successful and your goals have been reached? Simple and effective.

Larison, Kim | 29 Apr 2010, 16:58 PM

I love your "let's get to work" attitude and will share with my fellow trainers!

Doddema, Aleta | 10 Mar 2010, 15:19 PM

This article offers a new point of view. Thank you for sharing!

Nielsen, Gary | 04 Mar 2010, 05:32 AM

In an industry with so much to learn and so many theories, an open mind is a must. I agree with many of the points in this article and have learned alot from JC's contributions over the years. However, as a 20 year trainer/fitness director in the industry with an unquenchable thirst for more knowledge in the human sciences, I belive that personal trainers need to evolve to something more then just being exercise experts in order to truly help people with their health and fitness. Why can't we up the standards and be all that a client needs us to be? When a preventative health approach finally prevails as the "answer" to our societies epidemic of disease and deconditioning (rather then medical procedures or drugs), maybe fitness specialists will be trained, licensed and regarded in a similar manner as physicians. That's my vision anyway. Gary Nielsen, B.S, CSCS, CPT, CES, PES

Binette, Sarah | 20 Feb 2010, 19:15 PM

JC, this is why people love you so much... great humor mixed with facts and experience. I also appreciate that your articles are to-the-point, not going on and on as some others. This has put a new perspectic on when I meet to assess. w/ potential clients. Thanks you! -Sarah

Cort, Gail | 19 Jan 2010, 11:23 AM

Hear, hear!! I am in total agreeement! I have been training on excess of 25 years, long before all the fancy gizmos for measuring this and that were around. I use the "pnat theorum"...if your pants are too tight...it's time to lose weight!

Gail

Lamay, Michael | 12 Nov 2009, 18:34 PM

This is a GREAT article summing up what I have been feeling since I started training. but by the looks of the ratings, many people who rated this are most likely upset because they spent all that time and money on learning assessments... just a thought.

Wetterstrom, Jason | 21 Oct 2009, 19:25 PM

I have felt that clients will know better than you when they are losing weight, building muscle, and toning up. They look at themselves in the mirror everyday. So rather than doing all of the assessments and measurements I usually ask them if they are interested in taking a BF% or a Bicep Circumfrence measurement. If they say yes, Ok, that's great. If not, that's great too. I agree with the idea that the less time you spend on numerous assessments, the more time you can actually spend training and working towards a goal. GREAT Article!

Ruano, Cesar | 27 Aug 2009, 12:07 PM

JC.
I want to thank you for being real and keeping it real. Many of us agree with what other professionals in the field say and have done research on, but definitely you put all the senses when in comes to PTing. I love my NASM fellows as I am one of them too but we have to think outside the box and realized that we are not DOCTORS!

Ezeonwuka, Jemand | 05 Aug 2009, 09:32 AM

You couldn't have said it any better Mr. Santana. Some trainers dwell too much on assesments, trying to fix postural deviation, or muscle imbalances that they lose track of the main objective; helping the client accomplish their important goals.

Pastuch, Sean | 15 Jul 2009, 11:52 AM

As a personal trainer and a ninth trimester chiropractic student I agree w ith you, personal trainers should not be forced to perform functional exams. I do however believe that you oversimplify the etiology of
your nine common functional hurdles. Knees moveing out and knees moving in upon squatting can be caused by a multitude of imbalances, the same goes for ANY biomechanical abnormality.

Caldwell, Ben | 29 May 2009, 23:04 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with this article. Our gym has all trainers follow the NASM model which I like but don't always agree with. I have had many clients tell me that they don't want me working on their muscle imbalances using the NASM model. They want me to make them sweat, get fit and loose weight. I have not had one client die or not feel fit and strong when I stray from the NASM protocol. In fact most clients do quite well. This article is a godsend which I know will receive a backlash from some parties, but Mr. Santana, I am in your corner on this one..